For House Sales and Purchase, rental properties, HMO's [ houses in multiple occupation] Landlords and building and estate Managers, the following services can be provided:


Claims of being  "Registered" can be misleading. They may just be employed by a "registered" entity, who may themselves be simply be an electrical labourer or simply "management" who then contract out to the lowest bidder. As a minimum, the person entering the property for Inspection should have a level 3 in The Requirements for Electrical Installation [18th Edition] and a level 3 qualification for inspecting and testing e.g. City and Guilds 2391 or 2395.


Ask for proof, such as JIB ECS card


The landlord is responsible for confirming the compentency of any contractors carrying out such work.


Due Diligence


  • Who is actually going to be on-site undertaking the electrical work or Inspection?
  • Have they the requisite experience and knowledge to safely execute the task?
  • Ensure that tenders for electrical work state that they will comply with BS7671:2018 and that an appropriate / valid Certificate demonstrating said compliance will be issued.



Fire Safety in Rental Property


Fire safety within the home and in commercial property is an important issue for landlords, especially in mixed use premises such as houses in multiple occupation HMOs where unrelated occupiers, who live independently from one another, share common areas of the same building.


This area of law is covered by both the Housing Act 2004 and the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005.